Diva's 4-Layer White Cake
This recipe is designed to make 1 8-inch, 4-Layer Cake
1 cup butter, softened
3 1/2 cups sugar
3 1/2 cups flour (sifted)
3 tsps baking powder
1 tsp salt
6 egg whites
1 3/4 cups whole milk or half-and-half
1 cup (8-ounce) sour cream
5 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line the bottom of 2 (8 x 3-inch) pans with parchment paper, spray each with baking spray, then set aside.
2. In a large bowl at medium-high speed beat butter and sugar until creamy, 4-5 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, beat eggs until lightly stiff. With a spatula, fold into creamed butter and sugar mixture.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together half-and-half, sour cream, oil, and vanilla extract; set aside.
5. In a separate large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt then sift. With mixer on lowest speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with half-and-half mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Once all ingredients are incorporated, mix on med-high speed for another minute.
6. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near the centers comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes; remove and place on wire racks to cool completely.
7. Once cooled, cut layers in half then frost and fill with your favorite frosting.